Is your home energy efficient?
Massive power bills? Check these tips to save some serious $$$$
• A full fridge cools more efficiently
• Mould or tears on seals is a sign of leaking cold air
• Better quality insulation means a more efficient fridge
• Look at your star energy-rating sticker – the higher the stars, the more energy efficient it is.
• Blower heaters use more power than all other appliances put together in a typical living room
• Oil heaters are even more expensive to run
• To heat your home more efficiently, use an air-conditioning unit
• An air-conditioning unit is about five times cheaper to run than blower or oil heaters
• Incandescent lights use as much electricity as around 25 LED lights
• Switch to LED lights as they use up to 80% less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs and can last up to 25 times longer
WASHER AND DRYER
• Washers and dryers consume about 10% of the electricity in a whole house
• Choose a washer and dryer that has a high energy rating